18 October 2013

New DNA Results

AncestryDNA released their updated ethnicity results yesterday!
Of course the DNA portion of Ancestry.com promptly crashed.
I know, you're shocked.
Here is the new list of the possible results:
Africa
Africa North
Africa South-Central Hunter-Gatherers
Africa Southeastern Bantu
Benin/Togo
Cameroon/Congo
Ivory Coast/Ghana
Mali
Nigeria
Senegal

America
Native American

Asia
Asia Central
Asia East
Asia South

Europe
Europe East
Europe West
European Jewish
Finnish/Northern Russia
Great Britain
Iberian Peninsula
Ireland
Italy/Greece
Scandinavia

Pacific Islander
Melanesia
Polynesia

West Asia
Caucasus
Near East
I was able to get the results for all five of my tests open in separate windows in one of the short functional periods. After making all these screen caps I was going to see how this change was shown in matches and explore some of the other changes. Unfortunately the AncestryDNA site was no longer available so for today I just have images of the results to compare.
After the jump the images are side by side so you don't have to scroll up and down to see what changed for each person.
Here are the original results for (top) Dad, Mom, Mom's Aunt, (bottom) me and Baby Brother.


Here are the new results without "trace regions":


New results with "trace regions" (Dad, Mom, Mom's Aunt, Me, Brother):


After the jump: Side by side comparison

ⓑⓐⓡⓚⓘⓝⓖ  ⓤⓟ  ⓣⓗⓔ  ⓦⓡⓞⓝⓖ  ⓣⓡⓔⓔ

Dad

★★★★★★★★★★

Mom

★★★★★★★★★★

Mom's Aunt

★★★★★★★★★★

Me

★★★★★★★★★★

Brother

★★★★★★★★★★

You'll find videos about using DNA in genealogy research here.


PREVIOUS POST: Top Ten
NEXT POST: All Betts Are Off

3 comments:

  1. I want to learn more about these new results before jumping to any conclusions, but these new results are even further off from what the evidence in my tree would suggest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, wonder where your 6% Persian/Turkish/Caucasus came from? This is really interesting! I ordered my AncestryDNA kit recently, and it's supposed to arrive in about 6 days. I have not a clue what my results will be because my dad was adopted and has no information about his heritage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exciting! Along with ethnicity results I hope you get some close familial matches that give you new information. Keeping my fingers crossed for you ;-)

      Delete