10 August 2012

Write It Out

First a note about BUWT...

If you've ever checked out blog posts here by label (on the right if you scroll down) you'll notice that some of the labels have changed. I'm thinking about posting tips only once or twice a month and crazy trees the remainder of the time. I'll still be posting twice a week but the "Tuesdays" label has been changed to "head/desk" and "Fridays" is now "Tips". 
I have a lot of trees bookmarked for future posts but can always use more. If you have a suggestion please send me a link at buwtree(at)gmail(dot)com.

A short tip this week...

Find a place on your family tree where you're stuck. Whether you use a word processing program or pen and paper write a narrative for that person or that family. Look again at every document. Include all the details in your narrative. Had you noticed before that 2 out of the 8 records you have spell the surname with an added letter. Have you searched with that spelling? Maybe it hits you that unless your great-great-grandmother gave birth at the age of 12 the two oldest children couldn't possibly be hers. Time to look for your great-great-grandfather's first marriage and disconnect those kids from her. 
Every time I've done this I've thought of new searches to do before I've even finished writing. Hope it works for you too!

PREVIOUS POST: So I Have a Few Duplicates
NEXT POST: Clickophiles
 

No comments:

Post a Comment