09 September 2013

Follow Blindly

A short post today. We're going back to the trees.

 Judith Kay Walls
 B: 1435 in Renfrewshire, Scotland
 D: 20 Jun 1951 in Renfrewshire, Scotland

 Children and husband lived in the 15th century.

35 public trees on Ancestry.com have this profile.
35 people who clicked away without noticing the typo.
35 people who didn't think twice about having an ancestor who lived more than five centuries.

Thanks to Mark for the heads up about these trees ;-)
If you have a profile to suggest please send a link to buwtree(at)gmail(dot)com.


PREVIOUS POST: Aunt Generation
NEXT POST: 15th Century Modesty

6 comments:

  1. Of course, the really enlightening experience comes when one takes a moment to send a polite note to one of these 35 folks, pointing out the potential inconsistency. The responses tend to be REALLY eye-opening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True. Most will defend their tree to the death. :-P

      Delete
  2. I have corrected errors in online trees...one has my great uncle marrying a woman 17 years after his death. I politely corrected and offered to send a copy of his will, which clearly states who his parents were, etc. No response, incorrect info is still there. But at least my correction is still there so hopefully others will realize.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can also write a story (see my post "This time it's personal"). What's really funny is when someone includes all the wrong info, the right info AND attaches the story. They obviously didn't read it but anyone doing actual research will ;-)

      Delete
  3. Judith Kay Walls is almost as old as Methuselah.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been having the same trouble. I had thought that Ancestry.com was Gospel until I got to a point where records were no longer readily available and I thought that if ten or twelve established public trees all had the same information, that I might be able to trust that information and incorporate it into my tree. NOT SO. I have seen many trees with children born before the parents or born in Cinncinnatti in 1405. I cannot, for the life of me understand how contributors would not notice such gross errors.

    ReplyDelete