23 July 2015

What's In A Name?

A quick post today. This...
Nicholas Lanier Laniere Lane Lanye Lanyer the YOUNGER, MASTER of MUSIC, on FACULTY at OXFORD UNIVERSITY, COURT MUSICIAN to CHARLES I & KING JAMES I, BEN JONSON
 ...is not a name. It's a biography. Why would someone do this?
I understand the many surname variations. If you search from the profile it may be easier to add all of those to the profile, temporarily anyway. Though I have found that formatting variations as, Lanier/Laniere/Lane/Lanye/Lanyer, yields better results, at least with Ancestry's search engine.
I do not, however, understand the suffix. A suffix should not be a curriculum vitae. And what/who is "BEN JONSON"?

Thanks to Kristin for the link to the profile for Nicholas! ;-) If you have a profile or tree to suggest please email the link to buwtree(at)gmail(dot)com. Thanks!


PREVIOUS POST: Leaving the New Ancestry
NEXT POST: It Paynes Me

3 comments:

  1. Ben Jonson was a famous English actor, poet, essayist etc., but I doubt he had a personal musician

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently stumbled upon this blog while doing research on my "ancestor" John Rock Smith,.,great blog post on that subject btw. I have read several...okay by now.....many of your blog posts....I have a confession, My name is Sherry and I am a clickophile...I have not entered an Ancesty 12 step that begins with taping my right index finger to my left big toe....After reading here I attempted to make some adjustments to my tree, which does not go back to Adam and Eve but.....I have a lot of royalty in there!!!! but the photos are legit...wel copies of legit. I think now that it would just be easier to create a new tree with the confirmed, verified and documented ancestors I KNOW I have....thanks for the laughs and know that I will be back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many of us started out thinking that "they" must know more than we do, and (to our later chagrin) just copying what we found. In my case, the wake up call was suddenly noticing that a supposed husband and wife (widely shown in many trees) were more than a hundred years different in age.

    Congrats on figuring it out (and I agree, this blog often has me in stitches). One suggestion - you might want to make your current tree private so those who haven't figured out the issues don't perpetuate things. Then you can use the parts you are sure of as a resource.

    ReplyDelete