25 January 2016

Another Change Comin'

Did anyone else catch the brief preview of Ancestry's new HINTS page earlier today? A friend alerted me to it and I caught it just before it was taken down.


Hints were visible under the ALL HINTS but RECORDS, PHOTOS, and STORIES showed the error message above. The banner at the top is rather large and each hint was HUGE. Viewing ALL HINTS on my laptop I could only see one hint without scrolling. My friend could see two. Are all programmers married to carpal tunnel surgeons?
The alphabet is gone from the top of the page and the relationship is displayed automatically. On the current HINTS page you have to click "View relationship to me." Unfortunately the new page disappeared before I had a chance to see if there were any other differences.
I'm hoping we'll be able to sort by record collection. What changes would you make to the HINTS page?


PREVIOUS POST: Who Am I?
NEXT POST: Coming Soon

7 comments:

  1. Get rid of those darn "Ghost Hints." Man, I hate those things. Waste so much time on them. Probably would be able to get rid of half my hints if they would get rid of those things.

    Plus and easier way to filter out unwanted hints. Delete all, mark all ignored, etc., would help immensely. I'm looking at you, Ancestry Trees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! If we could sort by collection then delete all from say, the Family Data Collection that would be a HUGE improvement. Or by country. I would love to ignore all the hints from Chile, Ecuador, and Venezuela. My ancestors were from Mexico!

      Delete
  2. FWIW -- Although you can't sort by record collection you can filter by record collection within your tree -- you may already know this. Although Ancestry doesn't make it easy, as far as I know. So if want to see all the hints in my tree for just the KY Death Records, I can just view those. I can give you the format of the http code if anyone is interested.... This might be something everyone knows, but thought I would mention it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. User Trees would be turned off by default and new users would have to access their settings in order to see them in their hints.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd settle for hints for trees being turned off for new users.

      Delete
  4. The new DNA hints give access to ones centiMorgans (cMs) match which people can use with my relationships prediction calculator; http://gliesians.com/autosomal-analyzer.faces. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Would you like to include my relationship predictions calculator in your course? (http://gliesians.com/autosomal-analyzer.faces) Thanks, Robert

    ReplyDelete